Tuesday, January 15, 2019

I Love Math Season 2019

I Love Math season has begun again.  Already students are getting ready to turn in their first submissions on a challenging problem:  Chicken Fingers!  You can read it below.  We encourage parents, faculty, staff and everyone in the community to work on these problems.  Please have fun thinking about them and engage students in sixth through eighth grades in conversations about them.  If you are stuck, they would be happy to share some strategies to get you moving again.

In the coming weeks, students will be presented with three additional problems.  Then on I Love Math Day, we will celebrate all their great work.  We will also welcome some visitors who love math and use it enthusiastically in their daily lives.  I Love Math Day will be on Thursday, February 14.

Our first problem is mathematically delicious.  Here it is:

*****               *****               *****               *****               *****

Chicken Fingers
Finger Lickin’ Good…

There is a fast food restaurant near my home that sells boxes of chicken fingers in three sizes:

6 fingers
9 fingers, or
20 fingers

This is the only way they sell them, so if you want 21 chicken fingers you need buy a box of 9 and two boxes of 6 (total:  21).

If you want to buy 22, you are out of luck.  There is no combination of 6, 9 and 20 that gets you exactly 22.

There is a problem with this arrangement.  It slows the servers down.  When someone wants exactly 31 chicken fingers, the server has to stop and figure out if there is a way to do it.  (You figure it out:  is there a way to fill an order for exactly 31?  See, it takes a couple of minutes before you know.)

One day, I walked up to the counter to order 150 chicken fingers for a party.  The server instantly said, “Sure!” and began filling my order.

How did she know – instantly, without calculating -- there was a way to fill my order?
*****               *****               *****               *****               *****
Please send any questions to me at glawrence@mustardseedschool.org.

Also, send me your solution!  I look forward to hearing from you.